Black Bean & Rice Burgers
This vegetarian burger is full of flavor and protein.
- 2 c thrive instant white rice, cooked
- 1 1⁄2 c thrive black beans, prepared as directed below and drained
- 1 t chili powder
- 1⁄2 t cumin
- 3⁄4 t thrive iodized salt
- 2 clv garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 c chopped onion
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1 cn green chilies
- 2 T canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1⁄4 c salsa
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 c thrive white flour (+ extra if desired)
- 2 T olive oil
- slices of your favorite cheese
For Black Beans:
- desired amount of THRIVE Black Beans
- 2 slices of bacon (optional)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- THRIVE Iodized Salt to taste
* Rinse and sort beans before transferring them to a large pot or dutch oven. Cover with water and soak overnight. Alternately, use a quicksoak method by heating beans until the water is boiling and then letting them sit for an hour or two.
* Drain beans and recover with fresh water. Add bacon, onion, salt, and garlic.
* Simmer over medium low heat for a few hours, until beans are tender. Season to taste and remove bacon slices.
Note: Since making beans can be rather time-consuming, it's great to make more than a recipe calls for and plan to use the excess amount in other recipes.
For Black Bean & Rice Burgers:
* Mix rice, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onion, cilantro, chilies, chipotle peppers, salsa, and egg in a large bowl. Mixture will be very moist.
* Add flour, using just enough to enable you to shape the mixture into patties. Dust the outside of each patty lightly with flour.
* Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and warm.
* Add patties and cook until nicely browned on each side. This should take about 3-4 minutes for each side, longer if the mixture was particularly moist.
* Top patties with your choice of cheese, reduce heat to low, and cover with lid to melt cheese.
* Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa if desired.