Wheat & Hamburger Casserole
This casserole is great for leftovers and an easy solution to dinner.
- 2 c whole wheat berries, cooked (using thrive hard white winter wheat) *see instructions below*
- 1 clv garlic
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 t cumin or oregano
- 1⁄2 c thrive freeze dried chopped onions
- 1 q jar of tomatoes or 2 sixteen-ounce cans of diced tomatoes (partially drained)
- 1⁄2 c thrive red & green bell peppers
- 1 t chili powder
- 2 cn (8 oz each) tomato sauce
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 small can chopped olives
- 2 c grated jack cheese
*To make wheat berries, simply cook in crock pot overnight on low heat: 2 cups of water to 1 cup of wheat.*
* Brown hamburger with onions and green peppers in a large skillet. Add wheat berries along with spices.
* Stir in tomatoes, sauce, and olives. Simmer for 30 minutes.
* Place mixture in an oven-proof casserole dish, top with cheese, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.